Job Title: Vice President, Strategy & Impact
As Vice President, Strategy & Impact, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the future of JA Africa (JAA) by driving strategic initiatives, analyzing market trends, and identifying growth opportunities. You will work closely with the executive team and cross-functional leaders to set the strategic direction of the organization, ensuring that JAA remains relevant, and impactful in an ever-evolving landscape.
Reports to: President & CEO, JA Africa
- Oversee all strategic planning at the Regional Operating Centre (ROC) to align JA Africa’s strategy with JA Worldwide’s
- Lead each ROC department to set specific and measurable goals and key results and institute monthly/quarterly tracking process to measure progress and flag issues early
- Support each Member Nation (MN) to develop their strategic plan to align with JA Africa’s and outline specific KPIs for Board Members and management staff
- Map out strategy and path to sustainability, growth and relevance for each MN in the JA Africa network
- Oversee Digital Director in developing and implementing the organization’s digital strategy
- Oversee Programs Director in developing and executing programs that meet the organization’s impact strategy, especially for the underserved
- Oversee Director for Non-English-Speaking Africa in developing and implementing expansion strategy to underserved countries and populations
- Work closely with VP, Operations to operationalize organization’s strategic plan
- Work closely with Finance Director to ensure budgeting process fully incorporates all programs and initiatives
- Plan and facilitate board and staff strategy retreats to align organization’s strategic plans with sustainable development goals (SDGs) and global trends in development
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Invest in research to ensure that JA programs are relevant, impactful and address the multiple economic challenges facing youth in Africa
- Work closely with VP, Marketing and Partnerships to coordinate relationships with partner institutions that can enhance JA programs (curriculum and delivery) for maximum positive impact on the young people we serve
- Invest in training staff at the ROC and MNs to adopt the most effective approaches to curriculum delivery, including preparing curriculum guides for staff, volunteers, teachers, facilitators and students
- Rigorously track impact on beneficiaries through pre-and post-program surveys, workshops, focus groups and contracting with external consultants to conduct independent assessments and impact studies
- Produce quarterly consolidated impact assessment of JA Africa and share within the network
- Convene governments, bilateral institutions and the donor community to share results of impact studies
- Partner with Marketing & Partnerships to develop and publish thought leadership articles that clearly establish JA Africa as a thought leader in youth empowerment
- Facilitate cross-functional collaboration and communication to align all teams with the strategic goals
- Serve as a strategic advisor to the executive team, providing guidance on market dynamics and potential opportunities or threats
Leadership and Team Management:
- Build and lead a high-performing strategy team, fostering a culture of innovation and excellence
- Develop and mentor team members to enhance their strategic thinking and analytical skills
- Manage and allocate resources effectively to support the achievement of strategic goals
Report and Presentation:
- Prepare and deliver regular reports to the executive team and the board of directors on the progress and impact of strategic initiatives
- Communicate the organization’s strategic vision and progress to internal and external stakeholders
- Keep an updated JA Africa strategic document at all times
- Craft compelling presentations to articulate the strategic direction and results to the broader organization
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, engineering, economics, international relations, nonprofit management, or a related field (Master’s degree preferred).
- 10+ years of experience in management consulting, strategy, business process re-engineering, change management, nonprofit management or related role with at least three years in senior executive capacity.
- Proven track record of developing and implementing successful strategic initiatives.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional leadership and team management capabilities.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Deep understanding of the global trends in development and challenges facing youth in Africa
The Vice President, Strategy is a critical role within JAA, and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to drive the organization’s impact and contribute to its long-term success. If you are a strategic visionary leader with a passion for making a difference, we invite you to apply and be a part of our dynamic team.
- Grants & Programs Director (50%)
- Digital Strategy Director (50%)
- Director, Strategy & Development for Non-English-Speaking Africa (50%)
- Monitoring & Evaluation Manager
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter outlining your relevant experience and achievements to firstname.lastname@example.org
JA Africa is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.