POSITION TITLE: Regional Marketing and Partnerships Director
REPORTS TO: JA Africa CEO
LOCATION: Anywhere in Africa
Junior Achievement Africa (JA Africa) is seeking a Regional Marketing and Partnerships Director (RMPD) to lead and execute its marketing, partnerships and resource mobilization. The RMPD will enable JA Africa’s strategic vision at regional and country levels. Working with the Member Nations and key staff members, the RMPD will oversee development of new marketing, partnerships and funding by launching and leading new business, marketing campaigns, building relationships, researching and engaging potential partners, managing the relationships with existing donors, and writing grant proposals. This role will be responsible for generating leads and turning them into opportunities for revenue, and telling our story both internally and externally.
The RMPD will be a member the Regional Operating Center (ROC), which oversees at least 12 independent, affiliate Member Nations. The ROC is responsible for driving and implementing regional initiatives, ensuring transparency and accountability, developing leadership and talent in each region, pushing innovative programs, measuring outcomes, and growing the JA Africa brand. The RMPD will also work closely with the JA Worldwide Marketing team to ensure alignment with global brand initiatives and communication of Africa’s achievements in global communications.
The RMPD executes JA Africa’ regional marketing and strategic partnerships strategy in collaboration with key organizational stakeholders, develops and leads innovative partnerships, and manages relationships with key partners. Responsibilities will include:
- Marketing: Design and implement comprehensive marketing strategies to create awareness of the organization’s business activities. Supervise the department and provide guidance and feedback to other marketing professionals within the ROC and Member Nations. Produce ideas for promotional events or activities and organize them efficiently. Plan and execute campaigns for corporate promotion, launching of new product lines etc. Responsible for producing valuable content for the organization’s online presence, editorial design and organizing the company’s publications. Conduct general market research to keep abreast of trends and competitor’s marketing movements and publish thought leadership articles in major publications (online and print). Become the organization’s agent towards external parties such as media, stakeholders and potential clients. Research, identify and enter JA Africa for regional and global awards demonstrating JA Africa’s excellence and thought leadership in youth empowerment
- Strategic Partnerships: Identifies and develops financial and non-financial partnerships with organizations whose interests are aligned to the JA mission such as universities, global consulting firms, large multinational technology and telecommunications companies, multi-stakeholder organizations, international organizations, etc. Cultivates positive interactions and relationships with Program Officers within funding entities. Acts as a partner to the Communications Officer in identifying and executing strategic marketing programs that raise brand awareness, including, but not limited to, sponsored articles, participation in events, and co-authored editorials with our stakeholders.
- Funder Acquisition: The RMPD creates and executes an annual development plan focused on identifying and acquiring new donors (including corporations, foundations, governments, multilateral organizations and individuals), renewals and expansions of the wallet-share of current JA supporters, as well as to address specific development strategies for sub-regions such as Francophone Africa. Screens potential business deals by analyzing sector strategies, partnership requirements and financials. Develops negotiating strategies and positions by studying integration of new partnership with organizational strategies and operations; examining risks and potentials; estimating partners’ needs and goals.
- Funder Innovation: Identifies and develops new ways to fundraise at a regional level such as launching multi-stakeholder initiatives to engage diverse potential sponsors, headlining regional conferences, organizational branding especially given JA Africa’s intent to expand. Overall development of branding and marketing strategy for JA Africa, identifying individual donors, organizing small events, new fundraising strategies and more. Oversees relationships with funders, acting as key contact in the stewardship process, ensuring all communications with partners is fluid. Identifies changes in sponsors’ needs and challenges, consistently evaluating the effectiveness of JA partnerships and generates new opportunities as a result.
- Capacity Building: Works with Member Nations to build their local marketing, partnerships and their fundraising capacity. Knowledge management of tools and strategies that can help JA MNs as well as contact and information sharing for partners that they aspire to work with, who already work with JA in other regions or countries. Manages Salesforce database for the JA Africa ROC. Identifies trendsetter ideas by researching industry, tracking individual contributors and their accomplishments etc.
DESIRED ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE
- Entrepreneurial / highly motivated: adept at working autonomously and virtually with stakeholders and core staff spread across the region; able to manage multiple priorities and work streams.
- Innovative: skilled at developing non-traditional collaborations and partnerships, preparing and negotiating contracts following organizational policy, looking across industries and sectors for opportunities to expand awareness of the brand.
- Organization and Attention to detail: ability to manage multiple conversations, accounts, donors, applications, tasks at one time and remain well organized.
- Expert Writer: highly skilled and experienced at grant writing and communications in English (ability to do so in French also is a strong advantage).
- Relationship Building and Leadership Acumen: Builds trust and long-term relationships with current and potential funders, familiar with affiliate or franchise organizational model; demonstrates the ability to use the collaborative potential of staff to deliver business results; demonstrates thought leadership in fundraising and partnerships.
- Strategic Partner: acts as a partner with the rest of the organization (regionally and globally) to analyze sector conditions and make strategic and organizational choices; develops fundraising and partnership capabilities across the global organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Communication, Development or related field.
- At least five years of experience in business, marketing, development, fundraising, sales or relationship management.
- Goal-oriented, organized team player.
- Able to analyze data and revenue statistics and translate results into better solutions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively
- Experienced at preparing and presenting quarterly goals and forecasts for future projects
- Comfortable in both a leadership and team-player role
- Creative problem solver who thrives when presented with a challenge
- Proficient computer skills, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel)
- Fluent communication.
Please send your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com with subject line “Application for Director of Marketing and Partnerships Position – Your Name” (e.g. Application for Application for Director of Marketing and Partnerships Position – Yaw Barima), no later than Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 5pm GMT.
Please use the following naming convention for your application documents: “CV – Yaw Barima” and “Cover Letter – Yaw Barima” Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.