JA Africa is currently hiring a Regional Development Manager.
Deadline: November 23rd, 2018
Regional Development Manager
POSITION TITLE: Regional Development Manager
REPORTS TO: JA Africa CEO
LOCATION: Accra, Ghana
All applicants must be based in Accra, Ghana
Junior Achievement Africa (JA Africa) is seeking a Regional Development Manager (RDM) to lead and execute its fundraising, partnerships and resource mobilization. The RDM will enable JA Africa’s strategic vision at regional and country levels. Working with the Member Nations and key staff members, the RDM will oversee development of new funding and partnerships by launching and leading new business, fundraising campaigns, building relationships, researching and engaging potential partners, managing the relationships with existing donors, and writing grant proposals. This role will be responsible for generating leads and turning them into opportunities for revenue, contacting potential funders via telephone, email and face to face.
More specifically this will include working to meet KPI’s and revenue targets as set by the Board, arranging meetings with prospects in order to program value and impact, negotiating grants with potential funders and closing grants, identifying opportunities for new business, paying attention to competitors and collaborators and their activities within the sector, building long term relationships with new and existing donors and sponsors, ensuring all administration relating to grants are completed effectively, and working closely with other departments and finding opportunities to cross sell.
The RDM will be a member the Regional Operating Center (ROC), which oversees 14 independent, affiliate Member Nations. The ROC is responsible for driving and implementing regional initiatives, ensuring transparency and accountability, developing leadership and talent in each region, pushing innovative programs, measuring outcomes, and growing the JA Africa brand.
The RDM executes JA Africa’ regional fundraising and strategic partnerships strategy in collaboration with key organizational stakeholders, develops and leads, innovative partnerships, and manages relationships with key partners. Responsibilities will include:
- Prospecting and Engaging: Screens potential business deals by analyzing sector strategies, partnership requirements, potential, and financials; evaluating options; resolving internal priorities; recommending project propositions. Locates or proposes potential partnerships and collaborations by contacting potential partners; discovering and exploring opportunities. Develops negotiating strategies and positions by studying integration of new partnership with organizational strategies and operations; examining risks and potentials; estimating partners’ needs and goals.
- Funder Acquisition: The RDM creates and executes an annual development plan focused on identifying and acquiring new donors (including corporations, foundations, governments, multilateral organizations and individuals), renewals and expansions of the funding of current JA supporters, as well as to address specific development strategies for sub-regions such as Francophone Africa.
- Funder Innovation: Identifies and develops new ways to fundraise at a regional level such as launching multi-stakeholder initiatives to engage diverse potential sponsors, headlining regional conferences, identifying individual donors, organizing small events, new fundraising strategies and more.
- Strategic Partnerships: Identifies and develops financial and non-financial partnerships with organizations whose interests are aligned to the JA mission such as universities, global consulting firms, multi-stakeholder organizations, international organizations, etc. Cultivates positive interactions and relationships with Program Officers within funding entities. Acts as a partner to the Communications Officer in identifying and executing strategic marketing programs that raise brand awareness, including, but not limited to, sponsored articles, participation in events, and co-authored editorials with our stakeholders.
- Donor and Partner Stewardship: Oversees relationships with the current sponsors, acting as secondary contact in the stewardship process, working with the Grants and Programs Manager in ensuring the programs funded meet all expectations. Identifies changes in sponsors’ needs and challenges, and generates new opportunities as a result.
- Operational Expertise: Provides guidance to ROC staff to assure a successful stewardship of grants once approved. Ensures that the fundraising goals are met by following through on all development initiatives. Plans and prepares team to implement regional fundraising events to gather potential donors.
- Staff and Board Engagement: Ensures the growth and health of relationships with fundraising staff and Executive Directors of the 14 Member nations as well as the regional Board of Directors. Engages effectively with Board Members to build relationships and find new potential partners. Ensures there are no funder conflicts.
- Internal Communications: Provides timely and accurate reports to the CEO and appropriate committees on progress of all fundraising activities.
- Proposal and Grant Writing: Discusses with potential partners and funders their needs and interests to devise a program that meets both JA’s and the partner’s focus, writes, submits and follows up on proposals with current and potential funders in partnership with JA Africa’s CEO. Works with Finance and Operations Manager to develop budget for all development related activities. Manages Development Department records in line with organizational standards and objectives. Closes new funding relationships by coordinating requirements; developing and negotiating contracts.
- Capacity Building: Works with Member Nations to build their local fundraising capacity. Knowledge management of tools and strategies that can help JA MNs as well as contact and information sharing for partners that they aspire to work with who already work with JA in other regions or countries. Manages Salesforce database for the JA Africa ROC.
- Knowledge building: Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations. Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments. Attends networking events. Identifies trendsetter ideas by researching industry, tracking individual contributors and their accomplishments etc.
DESIRED ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE
- Entrepreneurial / highly motivated: adept at working autonomously and virtually with stakeholders and core staff spread across the region; able to manage multiple priorities and work streams.
- Innovative: skilled at developing non-traditional collaborations and partnerships, preparing and negotiating contracts following organizational policy, looking across industries and sectors for opportunities to expand awareness of the brand.
- Organization and Attention to detail: ability to manage multiple conversations, accounts, donors, applications, tasks at one time and remain well organized.
- Expert Writer: highly skilled and experienced at grant writing and communications in English (ability to do so in French also is a strong advantage).
- Relationship Building and Leadership Acumen: Builds trust and long-term relationships with current and potential funders, familiar with affiliate or franchise organizational model; demonstrates the ability to use the collaborative potential of staff to deliver business results; demonstrates thought leadership in fundraising and partnerships.
- Strategic Partner: acts as a partner with the rest of the organization (regionally and globally) to analyze sector conditions and make strategic and organizational choices; develops fundraising and partnership capabilities across the global organization.
- Makes professional decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Development, Sales or related field.
- At least five years of experience in development, fundraising, sales or relationship management.
- Goal-oriented, organized team player, eager to expand organization with new funders and revenue sources.
- Able to analyze data and revenue statistics and translate results into better solutions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively. Self-motivated and self-directed
- Experienced at compiling and following strict budgets. Experienced at preparing and presenting quarterly goals and forecasts for future projects
- Comfortable in both a leadership and team-player role. Creative problem solver who thrives when presented with a challenge
- Demonstrated and proven fundraising results
- Proficient computer skills, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel)
- Fluent communication in person, on the phone, and in email
- International travel required
How to Apply
- Please submit cover letter and resume – via email only to email@example.com
- Please use the subject line “JA Africa Regional Development Manager”.
- No phone calls please, candidates selected for the interview phase will be contacted.
- Anticipated start date: January 2019